How to make Godly Decisions in the Height of Heated Emotions
Have you ever been faced with a difficult decision? Im pretty sure your answer is YES!
A few months ago, my husband and I had to face a riot of difficult decisions. I found myself in a space of indecisions as my head was spinning with ‘What if’s’.
I lingered in Gods Word to find comfort in the confusion of my mind.
My indecisions breed insecurities when my thinking is warped by wordliness but Gods infinite truth interjects my weary soul. His truth protects me from incorrect choices and rejects the chaos that confuses me. His peace is my guide.
As we were working through our decision making process, the Lord cemented the follwoing truths into my heart.
Decision making requires obedience, discernment and Godly direction and then Gods brings our deliverance.
Rushed decisions are rarely Godly decisions. The Bible teaches us that poor decisions are rooted in impatience. The wise choose to wait on the Lord.
Here are my 10 steps to making Godly decisions in the height of heated emotions:
- SEEK out Gods will through kneel-bruising prayer. James 5:16 – ‘The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.’
- SEARCH for Godly advise. Proverbs 15:2 – ‘Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed’
- SIT on it. Psalm 37:7 – ‘Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him’
- SHAKE off ungoldly advice. Proverbs 14:7 – ‘Leave the presence of a fool, or you will not discern words of knowledge.’
- SURRENDER your plans to God. Mark 14:36 – ‘Yet not what I will, but what you will.’
- SILENCE the enemies voice. John 10:10 – ‘The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy’
- STAND your ground. Do not compromise your values. Romans 12:2 – ‘Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.’
- SPIRIT-led decisions – we need to learn to make decisions guided by the Holy Spirit. John 14:16-17 – ‘I will ask the Father, and He will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth.’
- STOP obsessesing over the situation. Don’t let it consume you. Hebrews 12:1-2 – ‘Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.’
- SHOW others how to make Godly decisions – 1 Timothy 4:12 – ‘Set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.’
As we make Godly decisions, it dictates the course of our lives. I pray that He will guide you as you seek His face in every situation. Hold on to these truth nuggets as you begin to process through the decisions your are facing. Let the Holy Spirit be your guide as you walk with Him in this process.